Sunday, April 10, 2011

Masters to Men as Housewives to Women?


Don't pretend like you haven't watched them. You know who I'm talking about! Those women who call themselves "Real Housewives" even though they really resemble aliens. And they act like them too. The more ridiculous they get, the more we can't possibly shift our eyes away.

Meanwhile, our men are watching golf five days straight as they contemplate if Tiger will reinvent himself or remain under the loser category. Sure, we may get frustrated with our husbands for their pure obsession with ESPN, including and not limited to endless NFL games. And let's not forget we just got over March Madness. Yet, I am so proud of my husband because at least you can look at these athletes with respect. Maybe not for Tiger, but even he is wearing a nice polo shirt and smiles with respect, which we cannot say for virtually any of the "Real Housewives".

Bravo makes it so easy for us to get hooked on the sleezy show. All you have to do is tune in on a Sunday and you can get caught up on all drama in about a couple of hours. YIKES! Why do I waste my time watching this trash? I'm supposed to be a mother and a role model, but sometimes it's fun to watch a little junk just to feel like a normal woman. It's the same reason why I go for the People magazine while getting a pedicure. Sure, I'm bored, but more importantly I'm looking for an escape. Now, I don't think that this is too terrible, as long as we as women are real with ourselves and know that THIS ISN'T REAL LIFE! These women actually are miserable and alone. They are hell bent on showing their assets to everyone when in fact all they want is love and acceptance. Don't we all?

My girls are toddlers now, but soon they will be well aware of shows like Housewives. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it, but I know it's my job to explain to them that these women are not something I'm modeling after. I hope by my representation they will be able to see that. Maybe I'm an optimist, but my prediction is that America will get real sick of reality TV. It's a joke and while amusing, at the end of the day it is garbage. I do believe we are what we think, and as women we need to shift our focus to something healthy and positive. What can replace the activity, you ask? How about getting on the ground and playing with my beautiful children. Who knows, maybe I'll learn a thing or two from real women I call my daughters.

No comments: